Communications Specialist FTA-Local
Posted on September 13, 2018 by UN Women
Communications Specialist Advertised on behalf of :Location : Panama City, PANAMA Application Deadline : 24-Sep-18 (Midnight New York, USA) Time left : 11d 13h 9m Additional Category : Management Type of Contract : FTA Local Post Level : NO-C Languages Required : English Spanish Starting Date :
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the supervision of the Regional Director, and in close collaboration with relevant Units in the Regional Office, Headquarters (HQ) and UN Women’s field offices across the Americas and the Caribbean (AC) region, the Communications Specialist is responsible for developing communications and media strategies and work plans and managing media/press relations and oversees the production of a range of communications and outreach materials for UN Women, including for the UN Women Regional Office website and social media. S/he is responsible for timely, accurate and high-quality informational materials, such as press releases & media advisories, news briefs, fact sheets, stories from the field etc. for media outreach, the UN Women website, and inclusion in informational kits for further public outreach.
The Communications Specialist will collaborate closely with the Headquarters, Regional, Multi-Country Office, Programme Presence Offices and Country Offices’ (RO/MCO/PPO/CO) colleagues to develop and propose communications strategies, cultivate and handle media relations and undertake organizational outreach efforts aligned with corporate communication policies and initiatives. S/he also collaborates with RO/MCO/PPO and CO colleagues to support outreach campaigns, resource mobilization and donor relations initiatives; s/he ensures visibility for UN Women in key intergovernmental processes and observance dates and supports the planning and implementation of activities and special events organized by UN Women.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Lead the development and implementation of communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans, with a specific focus on media
- Coordinate communication UN Women network of the region and respond for the implementation of the working plan;
- Conduct communication needs assessments for RO/MCO/CO/PPOs, including projects, programmes and corporate change initiatives;
- Design, develop, and implement communication and outreach/advocacy strategies, including media strategies; ensure gender perspective;
- Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives;
- Coordinate and promote work of UN Women Ambassador in the region;
- Promote UN Women capacity in the Americas and Caribbean region;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and prepare reports;
- Launch and follow-up on UN Women/ UN System corporate and local/regional campaigns and special events;
- Provide advice and guidance to and coordinate with RO/MCO/CO/PPOs in the region.
2. Lead the development and dissemination of advocacy materials in the region
- Develop and produce communication and advocacy instruments and materials, including briefing materials, press releases, and articles and coordinate its dissemination through effective channels;
- Identify and launch information opportunities, activities, approaches and platforms and partners;
- Provide advice on advocacy materials and coordinate launching flagship initiatives and publications in the region;
- Lead the engagement and supervision of video producers and other communication specialists to produce audio/ visual material on UN Women’s work;
- Develop brochures, factsheets, stories from the field to inform media and general public at the regional level;
- Follow guidelines from HQ.
3. Manage media relations for the RO/MCO/CO/PPOs
- Manage and promote presence and image of senior officers of UN Women in the region and abroad, specifically the Regional Director and Deputy Regional Director;
- Lead relationship building with press in country and region; maintain and update database of relevant press;
- Respond timely and clearly to media inquiries and to a variety of inquiries and information requests; prepare related correspondence; identify topics, background information, news-related development and coverage of interest;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, and briefing sessions with press;
- Facilitate interviews with senior managers; connect media with UN Women subject experts;
- Finalize talking points.
4. Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors and media actors and networks
- Identify and develop new communication partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility; manage and nurture existing partnerships;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors;
- Guide and collaborate closely with communication colleagues in other offices to ensure consistency with corporate policies, messaging and initiatives;
- Submit packages for programme initiatives for partners review.
5. Oversee the CO/MCO/RO’s web/ online presence
- Oversee and maintain (regional) websites, including developing design and content;
- Coordinate MCO and COs’ web-presence in line with corporate web policy;
- Oversee and manage (regional) social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy.
6. Facilitate knowledge building and sharing
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned from RO/MCO/CO/PPOs directly linked to programme country goals and activities and ensure exchange of information;
- Provide training and workshops on communication and advocacy as appropriate.
Key Perfomance Indicators:
- Quality communications strategy and timely implementation which leads to greater exposure and understanding of UN Women’s work
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content or the website and social media channels
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage
- Regular interactions with donors, as shown in increased funds
- Regular exchange of information between RO/MCO/CO/PPOs in region as shown in coherent and relevant regional public presence
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Strong knowledge of managing web-based knowledge management systems
- Strong understanding of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Strong oral and written communication and editing skills
- Strong communication, networking and advocacy skills
- Ability to provide advice and be strategic and analytical
- Good knowledge of regional and country level media landscape
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues is desirable
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, public relations, journalism or relevant field is required
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience at national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy, including in media relations;
- Experience in the use of social media;
- Proven experience in successful development and implementation of communications strategies and plans at the national or international level;
- Knowledge of the Americas and Caribbean region is a prerequisite for this post;
- Outstanding oral and written communications and editing skills, with proven ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Experience working in development agency is an asset.
- Familiarity with gender and/or development issues, UN Women and UN System is an asset;
- Proven experience in on-line outreach and multimedia is an asset;
- Experience in media relations is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required;
- Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese is an advantage.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
HOW TO APPLY
To see and apply to this vacancy, you must enter the following link: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=80971
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.