Intern - Ending Violence against Women
Posted on October 15, 2018 by UN Women
Advertised on behalf of : Location : Panama City, PANAMA Application Deadline : 26-Oct-18 (Midnight New York, USA) Time left : 11d 7h 26m Additional Category : Gender Equality Type of Contract : Internship Post Level : Intern Languages Required : English Spanish Duration of Initial Contract : six months Expected Duration of Assignment : six months
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Regional Policy Specialist on Ending Violence against Women the intern will assist the area of Ending of Violence Against Women (EVAW) with the following responsibilities:
- Support the gathering and compilation of information and the continuous update of the database on national and regional initiatives in the area of EVAW;
- Support the preparation of substantive products, concept notes, project documents, knowledge products related to EVAW;
- Support the dissemination and implementation of UN Women flagship programmes related to EVAW;
- Draft reports, e.g. summary of activities, budgets and responsibilities, as established in the annual work plans related to EVAW in all LAC country and programme offices; update on achievements and activities planned with regional and subregional partners to support EVAW;
- Support the organization of webinars, workshops, events, meetings, and studies. Participate in technical meetings, preparing notes, taking minutes, or any other related task, as requested;
- Support the dissemination of information sharing experiences and lessons learnt in the LAC region in the area of EVAW;
- Coordinate, ensure communication and provide technical support to the UNiTE Campaign, including through the Inter-Agency Group on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment;
- Liaise, coordinate, ensure communication and provide technical support on EVAW related issues to UN Women Offices throughout the region, as needed.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Held colleagues and team members accountable for planned goals and competency standards
- Practiced giving and receiving constructive feedback
2. Commitment to Learning
- Learned about agency, its processes, structure, challenges, and environment
- Compared agency to other working environments, supported agency with institutional learning
- Produced communication products (written and oral)
- ransferred and shared knowledge
4. Planning and Organizing
- Set up effective processes and workflows
- Refined workflows with available resources
- Coordinated work and roles with other team members
- Supported goals of the team
6. Advising and Decision Making
- Identified areas for growth or revision
Required Skills and Experience
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong academic background in human rights, gender, governance, international development or other related field;
- Experience working in an international environment;
- Fluency in Spanish and English. Fluency in French is an advantage;
- Ability to think and work logically and work precisely with attention to detail;
- Ability to write clearly and concisely;
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Formulate and monitor programming to end violence against women and girls.
- Master results based management with an emphasis on women’s rights, gender equality and ending violence against women.
- Managing communications campaigns and initiatives, as well as strategies used in behavior change initiatives.
- Acquire understanding and skills of UN coordination.
- 5.Increased understanding of UN Women’s work and the UN system.
- Meeting and networking with UN Women colleagues in other units.
- Work as a team member in a multicultural setting.
Key Achievements by End of Internship by Area of Work
Ensured the internship experience was valuable for the interns and the agency. Followed up with interns to submit work plan and provided support with work plan development
Interested candidates should apply by 26 October, 2018. The application includes a resume.
UN Women Internship Policy:
- UN Women internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
- All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
- UN Women accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UN WOMEN during the period of the internship or for six months immediately following the expiration date of internship;
- The intern must provide proof of enrollment in a health insurance plan.
- The internship must be 2-6 months in lenght.
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UN Women in any official capacity.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this vacancy, you must enter the following address: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=81550 no later than October 26, 2018 (Midnight New York, USA).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.