Posted on January 28, 2019 by UNHCR
Post Title: HR Associate
Duty Station: Panama City, PANAMA
Duration of Assignment: 6 months renewable
Type of Contract: Temporary Appointment
Employment Conditions: GL6 level
Persons interested in applying for this position must be Panamanian Nationals or must hold a valid work permit in Panama
Qualified candidates who areinterested in the position must submit their written application, attaching a UN Personal History Form (https://www.unhcr.org/general-service-staff.html) and motivation letter (1 page maximum), not later than 1st February 2019. Application documents should be sent by email to UNHCR (firstname.lastname@example.org), including the reference of RO PAN “HR Associate” in the subject field.Due to the foreseen number of applications, only persons shortlisted will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will undergo a written test and interview.
The Human Resources Associate will function under direct supervision of the Regional Human Resources Officer, assisting him/her in personnel administration and other HR related matters of staff under area of responsibility (AOR), including the process of staffing and budget reviews, recruitment and appointment of staff, and in the performance management and staff welfare issues. He/she will assist in coaching and training of junior support staff. Incumbent will have close working relationship with the staff-related services in UNHCR, such as the Personnel Administration & Payroll Section (PAPS), Performance Management Unit (PMU), Career Management Section (CMS), Staff Health & Welfare Service (SHWS) and Global Learning Centre (GLC).
- UNHCR adheres to the principles of the People Strategy in recruiting, placing, supporting and developing our people.
- The workforce in the AOR is well-informed of and understands the organisation’s human resources policies and practices.
- UNHCR provides a healthy, safe and respectful working environment for its workforce in the AOR.
- Prepare HR related documents for the annual operations programme review. Provide input in the review of the training needs of the staff, making appropriate proposals to meet identified needs.
- Advise staff members on their rights, obligations, benefits and entitlements, and assist them in interpreting UN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations.
- Participate in the recruitment of local staff including the drafting of vacancy notices and arranging for typing, driving and/or other tests on the required skills. Draft submissions for the review by the local Assignments Committee (AC).
- Administer recruitment, assignment, reassignment and separation of local staff in the AOR, in accordance with UN/UNHCR rules and procedures. Update personnel records in the office, including MSRP entries into HR module where this activity has been rolled out from PAPS to the respective office.
- Assist and coach support staff performing personnel administration and other HR related functions, including but not limited to the maintenance of the attendance, overtime and leave records.
- Assist newly-arrived international staff with administrative formalities related to their accreditations, security/ground passes, submission of completed forms and related documents to headquarters, arrangements for their onward travel to the field office, if applicable.
- Administer UNHCR medical insurance plan for locally recruited staff. Provide administrative support to staff and dependants in case of medical evacuations, as well as security evacuations/relocations. Maintain daily tracking record of staff and families to provide accurate information in case of emergency.
- Maintain liaison with the counterparts at support sections and divisions at headquarters, as well as at the respective Bureau, on matters related to the personnel administration support, medical and other issues of staff welfare and safety.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Enforce compliance with the UN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations in the AOR.
- Prepare contracts and corresponding extensions in respect of locally recruited staff in the AOR for the authorizing officer’s approval. Initiate Payroll clearance for the separation of locally recruited
- Clear calculations for payments related to personnel issues such as settlement of travel claims,
overtime claims, hazard pay, MIP reimbursements, medical and security evacuations, shipment costs.
Qualifications and Professional Experience
Completion of secondary education with post-secondary training/certificate in Business Administration, Office Management, Human Resources Management or related field.
Minimum 6 years of previous relevant experience.
Good knowledge of UNHCR administrative procedures and processes and exposure to provision of
support services in an international organization.
Fluency in English and Spanish
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies
- Working knowledge of other UN language(s).
- Field experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations is an asset.
- High IT affinity and working experience of PeopleSoft/MSRP HR module, as well as with MSRP
Financials and Focus.